What is considered a Heart Attack?
A very suprising fact about the reason of heart attack is the death or damaging of a heart muscle which further causes chest pain. This damage is caused due to the loss of blood supply which is due to a clot in the artery supplying the blood.
According to global Burden of Disease Report, 1.7 million people died due to heart attack in India in 2016.
A healthy heart leads to a healthy life. Damage done to one’s body due to heart problems is the most serious one. A heart attack neither comes with a warning nor it sees the age of the person. So it is advisable to maintain the health of one’s heart.
Generally, it is a continuous process as the heart muscle does not die at once. But in some cases a person dies on the spot. And if the blood flow is not restored, it causes permanent damage to the heart.
Causes of Heart Attack
Nowadays, there are various reasons why people are at a high risk of suffering from heart attack.
No one has ever given a deep thought as to why people in the earlier times had less chances of suffering from heart attack.
Is it due to our changed lifestyle or is it some other problem that we are facing in the present situation.
But some causes of heart attack can be listed down –
- The foremost reason is when a blood clot obstructs the flow of blood to the heart muscle. This leads to the death of the heart muscle.
- Fat or cholesterol act as stimulators to increase the level of blockage.
- Chances of heart problems increases with the stress level. The more one leads a stressful life, the more he becomes prone to heart attack and related problems.
- Smoking kills is very well said. It damages the lining of the arteries which builds up a fatty material which thus blocks the arteries.
- Diabetes is another cause of heart attack. It damages the blood vessels and nerves. Diabetic patients need to be more cautious as they are at higher risk than those who are non-diabetic.
- High blood pressure narrows the arteries due to build up of fat and cholesterol. It also causes excessive strain.
Symptoms of Heart Attack
Heart attack is one of the leading causes of death in both men and women. If a person is given timely aid, his life can be saved but in some cases the person dies in the later stage when he suffers major heart muscle damage.
Symptoms of Heart Attack in Women
Heart attack brings many symptoms with it. Extreme chest pressure and pain which may be accompanied by pain in one arm or both the arms, jaws, neck, stomach.
Women may experience some other symptoms apart from these which are –
- Pressure in the upper back
- Tooth ache
- Stomach pain
These symptoms are different from the ones experienced in a traditional heart attack.
Symptoms of Heart Attack in Men
Men may experience the following symptoms –
- Chest pain
- Chest discomfort
- Pain in other parts of the body
These symptoms if recognised and diagnosed properly can save a life and if neglected can claim one’s life.
Treatment for Heart Attack
The type of treatment depends upon the severity of heart attack a person suffers. There are different treatments available depending upon the cases.
The blockage can be complete or partial
Complete blockage means you suffered a ‘STEMI’ heart attack which stands for ST-elevation myocardial infarction.
Partial blockage means you suffered a ‘NSTEMI’ heart attack which stands for non-ST-elevation myocardial blockage.
Ojas Hospital – Super Speciality Hospital in Chandigarh
The prime objective of Ojas Hospital is to give the best medical aid to the patients. Our services are available to the patients at all times which are delivered by experienced critical care team.
Each case is observed by the heart surgeon and cardiologist where we have heart team approach in a triple vessel block.
At Ojas, we follow international standards to accelerate the primary angioplasty so that the door to balloon time is 60 minutes.
Make An Appointment with our Cardiologists for your Heart Checkup.